Wednesday, April 14, 2010

10 Words

Preparing to preach on the Ten Commandments beginning this Sunday. I am stunned by how contemporary they are. They address so many issues that are live in our world today: (the links take you to the secular media)

· Atheism and Belief in God (#1 No other gods)
· Materialism, Workaholism, Environmentalism, ???ism (#2 On Idols)
· Swearing Oaths and the ubiquity of the phrase “Oh my God” on the TV (#3 on the Lord’s Name)
· Work-Life balance (#4 Sabbath keeping)
· The breakdown of the family (#5 Parents)
· Wars and Rumours of wars, capital punishment, street violence (#6 Murder)
· Marriage and Sexuality (#7 Adultery)
· Global Poverty and Western wealth (#8 Stealing)
· The main backdrop to every story on A Current Affair (#9 Lying)
· The darkness of the human heart (#10 Coveting)

I have called the series “Words of Life” because I think that, far from being restrictive, negative and outdated, these words give us a vision for the good life. The life as God intended. A life full of hope, security, confidence, work-life balance, strong families, peace, faithful relationships, generous care of the needy, truthfulness and purity of thought. Now THAT is a world I want to live in.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Richard,

    College lately has highlighted for me how often we divide secular and sacred, spiritual and 'everyday' issues... so I'm loving how much this post shows that divide to be unfair! Looking forward very much to hearing you (and hoping it will be slightly uncomfortable at the same time).

    :)
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Richard,

    The big 10 probably count as some of the more quoted (or at least talked about) scripture but also most overlooked in terms of "today" application.

    Sometimes I know discussions that focus on "Thou shalt not" are to me a bit like a "Do not walk on the grass" type of sign - I need to remind myself more what I am called towards rather than just what I am called from - "Hey check out that great footpath" rather than "Stay off the Grass"

    It's great to be reminded mid-week about whats coming up so I can read over this again and think about it before we hear your sermon.

    Warwick

    ReplyDelete
  3. Warwick, thanks - you've now made it to Sunday's sermon. Look out for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So it looks like you won't be taking that Francis Macnab, from Saint Michael's Uniting Collins Street, position that the 10 commandments are: "the most negative document ever written."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Richard - I clearly should subscribe to your comments feed so that I knew about this BEFORE Sunday morning.

    Unusuual to have Tilich and Macnab quoted/mentioned in a St Judes Sermon - However I did find the "Ultimeate Concern" phrase helpful.

    ReplyDelete